"The STEM Advantage program enables its participants to pursue a degree in a STEM field, gain real world experience and receive critical mentorship along the way. At Toyota, we support STEM Advantage because it gives students opportunities they otherwise would not have and we are able to bring some amazing STEM Advantage participants to the Toyota team."
- Zack Hicks, Group VP & CIO, North America, Toyota Motor Sales USA
|T.Fox and Cal State LA students at MESA's
11th Annual Student Leadership Conference
Welcome Cal State LA!
We are pleased to announce that the success of our pilot with California State University, Dominguez Hills, has allowed us to expand to partnering also with California State University, Los Angeles!
Dean Emily Allen and T.Fox, Director of the Mathematics, Engineering, Science Achievement (MESA) Program, are helping us launch our program with the College of Engineering, Computer Science, and Technology. In particular our focus is to attract and retain more women in STEM careers.
Our goal is to continue to expand to more California State University campuses. The CSU:
- houses the most ethnically diverse student body in the nation
- provides more than half of all undergraduate degrees granted to California's Latino, African American and Native American students
- more than a third of CSU students are first generation college students
In Fall 2013 at the CSU:
- 96% of all enrolled students came from California
- 88% of new first-time freshmen came from California public high schools
- 92% of new undergraduate transfers came from the California Community Colleges
Paid internships make a difference
STEM Advantage Scholars Edith and Danny with Ron Guerrier, VP & CIO, Toyota Financial Services
Thank you to the companies and organizations that provide paid internships for STEM Advantage Scholars. While we can discuss the many benefits of "learning by doing," our scholars say it best...
"Working at Toyota has been one of the most rewarding things that has ever happened to me. At Toyota, not only did I learn computer skills, but also I learned how Corporate America works. Everyone at Toyota helped me, taught me and gave me professional advice. Being part of the Toyota Software Development team was very helpful towards my professional path. I now feel more confident because I have more experience in my chosen career field.
- Edith, B.S. Computer Science (2016), Cal State Dominguez Hills
STEM Advantage Women Scholars honored
Edith, Erica and their mothers shared in the celebration
We are very proud that three STEM Advantage Scholars were awarded scholarships at the Advancing Women in Technology (AWT)
fundraiser in October.
Please join us in congratulating these talented young women, who are earning their bachelor degrees at Cal State Dominguez Hills:
- Alena Rose, Computer Technology (2015)
- Erica Tinsley, Computer Technology/ Homeland Security (2015)
- Edith Young, Computer Science (2016)
Thank you AWT for honoring women pursuing technology degrees.
About STEM Advantage
STEM Advantage was created in September 2012, to mentor, prepare and inspire young women and underserved communities to pursue careers in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) through paid internships, mentorships and scholarships. Plus we deliver career and personal development workshops.
STEM Advantage is a 501(c)(3) public charity.
To learn more, please visit our website or contact Lee Ann at 949.322.3320 or firstname.lastname@example.org