About STEM Advantage
STEM Advantage is a nonprofit organization providing science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) career opportunities to California State University students, the largest and most ethnically diverse 4-year public university system in the nation.
Since our program launched in 2012 at Cal State Dominguez Hills in South LA, we have unlocked opportunities for countless remarkable and talented CSU first-generation students from low-income families. Our Faces of STEM™ defy odds, follow their dreams and become successful STEM professionals. Then they “pay it forward” as role models, mentors, and inspiration for young girls and boys. If they can see it, they can be it!
OUR MISSION: Mentor, prepare and inspire women and underserved communities to pursue STEM careers through internships, mentorships, scholarships, professional and career development, and community.
Women and communities of color continue to be underrepresented in the STEM workforce despite rapid growth in STEM jobs. With California forecasted to have more than 1.4 million STEM jobs by 2022, Women, African Americans and Latinos comprise only 20% of the STEM workforce.
Barriers remain to achieve an inclusive STEM workforce. Many of the STEM-related jobs that require a bachelor’s degree are offered to students with:
- A brand-name college education attending private or elite public institutions.
- Access to referrals from powerful alumni networks or industry connections.
- Support systems providing encouragement and guidance through college education and beyond.
As such, talented California State University (CSU) students with degrees are unable to find employment opportunities even with over 1 million STEM jobs waiting to be filled in California.
STEM Advantage opens doors to help level the playing field for students attending California State University (CSU). We address the STEM talent pool and acquisition gaps by utilizing a collective impact model that brings together industry leaders, underserved communities, and academic institutions. In collaboration, we provide a professional network to disadvantaged students and fuel the well-needed diversity pipeline to the STEM workforce.
We mentor, prepare and inspire women and underserved communities to pursue STEM careers through our holistic program that includes paid internships, 1-to-1 mentorships, scholarships, professional and career development, and community.
STEM Advantage has a proven track record. Our Scholars:
- 100% graduation rate with persistence in a STEM major
- $75,000 average starting salary, a middle-class wage that students tell us is “life-changing” (400% increase over pre-program salary)
- “Pay it forward” model: They are role models and STEM ambassadors, exciting younger generations that STEM is cool! If they can see it, they can be it!
- 72% are first-generation college students from low income families
STEM Advantage has been honored by:
- Los Angeles Business Journal as Diversity, Inclusion + Equity Nonprofit of the Year
- Women in Technology| Hollywood as a Charity Leadership Partner
- Society for Information Management (national organization) with a STEM Non-Profit Partner Award
- EY Global Winner: Better Begins With You. Top award in category of Strengthening Our Communities
Invest in Diverse STEM Talent
To learn more about how you can help STEM Advantage Scholars, please contact our President & Founder Lee Ann Kline at firstname.lastname@example.org.